[Remind-Fans] convert iCal format to .remind format

Andrew Loch loch at dstc.edu.au
Tue Mar 29 18:18:14 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 08:57, Jenn Mixxmann wrote:
> Hey,
>
> This has probably been asked before, but is there an automated way to convert calendars from Apple's iCal to a format that remind can use? (and possibly vice-versa?)
>
> Thanks.

have a look at this page if you haven't seen it
http://www.43folders.com/2005/02/guest_mike_harr.html

in the comments some people mention ways of doing this.
search in the page for iCal.

but I'll cut and paste here for you I guess :-)

Daniel -- I did an import from my iCal by heavy text manipulation --
iCal can export to a standard vCal text format, so by automatically
deleting the parts you don't need, you can sort of mash it into a Remind
format. Exporting it back to iCal -- not so much. I imagine someone
sufficiently knowledgeable could mash up an appropriate script to
routinely remove and add the needed vCal info back in, but that's far
above my head.

Great job Mike - glad to see you hacking that AppleScript! :-)

I don't think I'm ready to forsake the many joys of iCal completely yet,
but remind looks like a fun and useful tool, and thanks for introducing
it.

A simple iCal -> remind script wouldn't be too hard. Here's one I
knocked up quickly to experiment with while reading through this thread
and the remind man page.

property documentPath : POSIX path of ((path to home folder) as text) & ".reminders.txt"
tell application "iCal"
	repeat with currentCal in (every calendar whose title does not contain "weeks")
		set allEvents to (every event of currentCal whose start date > (current date))
		repeat with i in allEvents
			set p to properties of i
			tell p
				set msg to summary
				set sd to start date
				set dateString to year of sd & " " & month of sd & " " & day of sd
				set ade to allday event
				if not ade then
					set dateString to dateString & " " & time string of sd
				end if
			end tell
			do shell script "echo \"REM " & dateString & " +1 " & " MSG " & msg & " %a  %\" >> " & documentPath
		end repeat
	end repeat
end tell
Every event gets a +1 and %b which give me a day's notice (if I read you
right). I'll probably run this once a week or something to get the
current week's appointments into remind, while I'm playing, er,
researching.

Posted by: peter boardman | March 8, 2005 01:43 AM

By the way - that script probably won't work for timed reminders - I
think remind expects the 24 hour clock (no am/pm), and doesn't like
seconds. You may need to play with the time formatting if you don't use
the 24 hour clock on your system...

I didn't read the small print closely enough :-)

There may well be others that the quick search didn't pick up. Skim
through the comments and see what you find. then google?

Can't help more as I'm a linux user not Mac sorry.

cheers
Andrew