[Remind-Fans] Sunrise, Sunset (Swiftly Flow the Days) ...

Avery Ke avery at u.washington.edu
Mon May 2 15:48:52 EDT 2005

David F. Skoll wrote:
>One note about daylight savings time:  Remind relies on your
>system's C library to know when DST kicks in.  So if your system library
>doesn't work properly, neither will Remind.  I'm not sure how Mac OS X
>handles it, but Linux and most UNIXes keep system time in UTC and their
>C libraries do on-the-fly conversions, taking into account DST.

David, I'm resending your email of 6 Jan 2004, which is useful  if you
change timezones frequently and have cross-timezone appointments

From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
Subject: Re: [Remind-Fans] Re: time zones

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Ted Rolle wrote:
> So, if remind "knows" the local time zone (from the TZ variable) and
> the time zone that the reminder says, seems like it could (or made
> to) calculate the local time.

Indeed... let's say you have something happening at 11:00am EST.
That's 4:00pm UTC.

REM [trigger('2004-01-06', 16:00, 1)] MSG Meeting at 4:00pm UTC.

See the man page, the "minsfromutc" function, and the "trigger"
function.  The trigger function above will automatically take care of
cases where converting from UTC changes the date as well as the time.
For example, this will trigger at 11:00pm EST on January 6:

REM [trigger('2004-01-07', 4:00, 1)] MSG Meeting at 4:00am UTC.

Regards,

David.