[Remind-Fans] RE: rem2ps not working

David Owen Kritzberg david.kritzberg at colorado.edu
Sun Jul 17 08:50:03 EDT 2005

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:39:13 +1000
From: Ian Petts <lister at internode.on.net>
Subject: [Remind-Fans] rem2ps stopped working
To: remind-fans at whatexit.org

>I noticed recently that my tkremind calendars mysteriously stopped
>printing. After a bit of investigation, it appears that rem2ps is not
>producing valid postscript files.
>
>I'm running debian Sarge and I'm not sure if the problem is specific to
>Debian, or has been introduced with the recent 03.00.23 version.
>
>The program runs without an error, but when I try and load the file with ggv
>(for example), it refuses to load with a 'File is not a valid PostScript
>document'
>
>ian at lexx:~$ remind -p1 ~/.reminders | rem2ps -m A4 -v >calendar.ps
>Rem2PS: Version 03.00.23 Copyright 1992-1998 by David F. Skoll
>
>Generating PostScript calendar
>        July 2005
>Rem2PS: Done
>
>I found another thread in the archives making mention of this, but
>could not find a solution.
>
>Is anyone else having this problem?

I should have posted a follow-up after my problem was "taken care of".
I had what may have been the same problem after upgrading my Fedora
system from FC2 to FC3.... the subsequent upgrade to FC4 produced no
problems with remind.

I never figured out if my problem was broken libraries or something
else.  The postscript files had good looking headers and rem2ps gave
no error message.  However, ggv would not work, nor was ps2pdf able to
convert the file

I reinstalled remind using the 2 config files in the instructions and
'tar -xvzf'.  Then I removed and reinstalled ggv.  The problem was no
more.  I wish I could say something about what actually happened under
the surface, but if you and I both had the problem of broken links,
perhaps this would help you as well.