[Remind-Fans] Subject: Newbie problem-Clarification

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Mon Apr 3 20:05:42 EDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 07:33:51PM -0400, Frederick Bauman wrote:
> > The syntax in the linuxjournal article is correct.  How exactly are
> > you
> > attempting to "add... items via CLI"?  Do you realize that
> > reminders are
> > supposed to be stored in the textfile ~/.reminders ?  You can use any
> > text editor to modify this file.
> >
> > Sorry if I've completely misjudged the depth of your understanding,
> > but
> > you haven't provided much information to go on.  What commands are you
> > using?  What error messages do you get?
> Sorry, I thought I was quite clear.
> 1. When I say CLI, I am of course referring to entering items into
> Remind by typing them in the Terminal.
> 2. I am using the EXACT example of "REM 6 January MSG David's
> birthday." as seen in the referenced article.
> 3. The needed ~/.reminders file is present.  as I stated before, I
> can use tkremind to enter items.
> 4. When I use the syntax provided in the example I get a copy of the
> Remind Usage Options, and no item is added.
> If the point of Remind is not quick entry of calendar items, how is
> it "supposed" to be utilized?

The only way to create reminders is to add them directly to
~/.reminders .  Remind is not responsible for modifying this file, it is
only responsible for interpreting that file as a calendar.  You could
open ~/.reminders in a text editor and add lines to it.  Right now you
should be able to look at that file and see a bunch of REM commands that
were added by tkremind.  If you add the text "REM 6 January MSG David's
birthday." to the end of that file, then a reminder should be created for
Jan 6.

Alternatively, a reminder could be appended to this file directly from
the terminal prompt, using standard shell commands:

   echo "REM 6 January MSG David's birthday" >> ~/.reminders

The definitive reference for Remind is its manpage.  You can probably
find this on your system by typing "man remind", or just look it up any
number of places online:
http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/1/remind.html

Paul