[Remind-Fans] Subject: Newbie problem-Clarification AH HA!

Frederick Bauman fbauman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 18:16:40 EDT 2006

>> 3. The needed ~/.reminders file is present.  as I stated before, I
>> can use tkremind to enter items.
>> 4. When I use the syntax provided in the example I get a copy of the
>> Remind Usage Options, and no item is added.
>> If the point of Remind is not quick entry of calendar items, how is
>> it "supposed" to be utilized?
>
> The only way to create reminders is to add them directly to
> ~/.reminders .  Remind is not responsible for modifying this file,
> it is
> only responsible for interpreting that file as a calendar.  You could
> open ~/.reminders in a text editor and add lines to it.  Right now you
> should be able to look at that file and see a bunch of REM commands
> that
> were added by tkremind.  If you add the text "REM 6 January MSG
> David's
> birthday." to the end of that file, then a reminder should be
> created for
> Jan 6.
>
> Alternatively, a reminder could be appended to this file directly from
> the terminal prompt, using standard shell commands:
>
>    echo "REM 6 January MSG David's birthday" >> ~/.reminders

Okay, thanks for the link to the man page, it gives a better
description of the info I got from within remind.

Not to beat a point to death, but I certainly hope that making
changes directly into a text file is not the recommended way to use
Remind.
I was under the impression that items were to be entered directly
through the terminal.
The instructions on the article I referenced did not seem to give the
instructions you gave.
I was pleasantly surprised when entering: echo "REM 6 January MSG
David's birthday" >> ~/.reminders  Actually produced a reminder.
Sadly this is an incredibly inefficient way to add items to remember
to a list.
I thought that Remind was pointed directly to the correct file to
begin with.  Why do I need to tell it where each time?
If someone can plainly set me straight on using Remind better I would
appreciate it.
Thanks a bunch,
Fred