[Remind-Fans] WISH: respect +xx advance warnings in quick reminders

Martin Stubenschrott stubenschrott at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 16:25:02 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:55:31PM -0400, Paul Pelzl wrote:
> I had been thinking about binding to different keypresses, but using a
> selection window is an interesting thought.
>
> Combining the two approaches might work out well.  Keypresses could be
> bound to certain frequently-used templates, but a different keypress
> would present the user with a choice of REM lines corresponding to all
> available templates.

Sounds great, because only binding keys to templates could make us run
out of (single-letter) keys quite quickly, but using an extra window if
you just have 2 templates is also far from perfect.

like with 'e' and 'E', 'q' could use the current quick reminder and 'Q'
to get the selection box with the default keys.

Unfortunatly, 'Q' is already taken, but I think in terms of consistancy
it would make more sense to use the same letter (once lowercase, once
uppercase) for these two actions, than using YAK (yet another key) for
these two actions which are very similar.

But since quit should obviously be 'q' or 'Q', I propose changing the
_default_ quick reminder key to a key which uppercase letter is not
already taken (like 'a' - add reminder, or 'f', or 's' or whatever can
make a good mnemonic to easily remember the command).

These are just suggestions, and since there is already rebinding of keys
possible, it's not a big deal, if you don't like them - I can easily
change them myself.

regards,

Martin