[Remind-Fans] Using RUN echo etc.

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 1 15:49:06 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 09:14 -0500, Phil Snowberger wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 05:50:00PM +1100, Shelagh Manton wrote:
> > I'm trying to use RUN like this.
> >
> > REM 31 Oct 2006 AT 17:33 RUN echo "Diane here at 10am" \
> > | osd_cat -pmiddle -Acenter -d30 \
> > -f-*-helvetica-*-*-*-*-*-180-*-*-*-*-*-*
> >
> > The echo command works fine with the osd_cat program fine on the command
> > line, but when I use it with remind it says
> >
> > sh: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
> > sh: : command not found
> > sh: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
> >
> > and
> >
> > sh: echo: command not found
> > sh: : command not found
> > sh: echo: command not found
> >  when I just use echo without a full path. I'm using the ubuntu package
> > on Dapper if that makes a difference. Have I missed something?
>
> Instead of using RUN-type reminders, have you thought about just doing
> MSG-type reminders, and then catting the output of remind -f -z to
> osd_cat?  I was just playing around with it and it seems
>
> 	remind -f -z ~/.reminders | osd_cat $OSD_CAT_OPTIONS
>
> works just fine.  Just keep that running in some window hidden somewhere
> (or in GNU screen).
>
> hth,
> --Phil
I thought I'd ask a few questions, if you have time, which are really not  related to remind but which your email raised in my mind.
When you have the $OSD_CAT_OPTIONS variable in your script, where do you
put this? Does it go in your .bashrc file. Sorry for asking this but
sometimes I find that linux, and unix people take some of these things
for granted.

Also I looked in the man page for screen (what a long document!). Just
briefly, I gather that if I do accidently close the xterm I started the
screen session in that the remind process would still be working
somewhere ready to pop up at the correct time? That would be handy.

Hope you have time to answer my query.

Shelagh