[Remind-Fans] Using RUN echo etc.

Phil Snowberger psnowber at cse.nd.edu
Wed Nov 1 16:09:37 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 07:49:06AM +1100, Shelagh Manton wrote:
> I thought I'd ask a few questions, if you have time, which are really
> not  related to remind but which your email raised in my mind.
> When you have the $OSD_CAT_OPTIONS variable in your script, where do you
> put this? Does it go in your .bashrc file. Sorry for asking this but
> sometimes I find that linux, and unix people take some of these things
> for granted.

Ah, you don't have to type literally what I typed, that's just a
shorthand for showing where the osd_cat commandline options would go.
Ignore "OSD_CAT_OPTIONS" and just put the options to osd_cat there.

> Also I looked in the man page for screen (what a long document!). Just
> briefly, I gather that if I do accidently close the xterm I started the
> screen session in that the remind process would still be working
> somewhere ready to pop up at the correct time? That would be handy.

It is a long document, but then, screen *is* a tiny god.

When you start a screen process, unless you specify a name for it (with
the -S switch, like "screen -S email"), screen will make up a name, like
"10701.pts-13.hostname".  You can now refer to this screen session by
that name.

Screen runs one (or more) processes and makes them think that they're
actually displaying to a real terminal (or xterm), but really, they're
displaying to a fake one that screen keeps track of.  You can "attach"
another xterm to the fake terminal by running "screen -r -x <name>".  If
you had named the screen "email" by running "screen -S email", then you
could open up three xterms and run "screen -r -x email" in each of them.
Then typing into any of the xterms manipulates screen's "fake" terminal,
and all the xterms see the same output.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that yes, if you close the xterm that
you started screen in, the session is still hanging around, and remind
is still running and piping its output to osd_cat.  It will even keep
hanging around if you restart X (but not if you reboot, obviously).
Running "screen -ls" will list all the currently running screen
sessions.

hth,
--Phil

p.s. if you have any further questions that are screen-specific, I'll be
happy to answer them, but let's take it off-list.  Or even better yet,
I'm also subscribed to screen-users[1], which is an excellent place to
learn more about screen.