[Remind-Fans] wyrd behaving weirdly on FreeBSD

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Mon Nov 20 20:39:19 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:53:41PM -0500, Jeff Armstrong wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have remind installed and working fine on both
> FreeBSD and Gentoo Linux; remind, tkremind, and wyrd
> all work without a hitch on Gentoo.  On FreeBSD,
> however, although remind itself, and tkremind work
> perfectly well, wyrd loads up but fails on the main
> screen with the error message:
>
> Error in reminders file: "remind: not found"
>
> on the bottom margin.

This suggests that Wyrd can't find 'remind' due to some environment
issue.  I'm not sure exactly what's going wrong... but you can probably
work around it by creating a custom ~/.wyrdrc file that contains the
line

set remind_command="/full/path/to/remind"

> None of the scheduled items appear in the wyrd
> interface, and if I try to enter one using wyrd I get
> the error:
>
> -c option, 1: Illegal address: only 376 lines in the
> file
> Press Enter to continue:
>
> It then brings up vi and displays the contents of my
> normal .reminders file, however if I save anything and
> exit vi I once again get the error:
>
> Error in reminders file: "remind: not found"
>
> from the error, I'm guessing it's choking on the
> remind options:
>
>  -c[n]  Produce a calendar for n (default 1) months
>  -c+[n] Produce a calendar for n (default 1) weeks
>
> but I can't figure out why.

No, this error message is coming from (the ever-crappy) 'nvi', which you
apparently have configured as $EDITOR.  Wyrd uses a bit of a hack to
automatically scroll the editor the end of the reminders file, and
apparently nvi doesn't like it.  You can fix the error by adding this
line to your custom ~/.wyrdrc file:

set edit_new_command="nvi -c '$' %file%"

(Or, you know, just use Vim instead.)  Hope that helps,

Paul