[Remind-Fans] help with "garbage day"

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 11:01:26 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 10:55:25PM -0800, brian hammond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to remind and cannot grok this one. Help!
>
> trash goes out on Tue
> recyclable paper on Wed
> recyclable plastic on Thu
>
> A holiday on any working day (Mon - Fri) causes each of the above that come after the holiday to pushed ahead a day.

I think you want something like this:

   # schedule trash day
   REM Tue AFTER MSG trash

   # schedule paper recycling day
   # (first locate previous trash day)
   REM Tue AFTER SCANFROM [trigger(today()-3)] SATISFY 1
   REM [trigger(trigdate()+1)] AFTER MSG recycle paper

   # schedule plastic recycling day
   # (first locate previous trash day)
   REM Tue AFTER SCANFROM [trigger(today()-6)] SATISFY 1
   # (next locate previous paper recycling day)
   REM [trigger(trigdate()+1)] AFTER SCANFROM [trigger(today()-5)] SATISFY 1
   REM [trigger(trigdate()+1)] AFTER MSG recycle plastic

The SCANFROM business is required because if "today()" is Wednesday,
then we have to look backward in time to a *prior* Tuesday to determine
whether or not trash day was time-shifted.

Hope that helps,

Paul