[Remind-Fans] Daylight Saving Time

Larry Hamilton lmh at hamiltongensociety.org
Mon Feb 26 22:58:11 EST 2007

I have not seen anything on the list about the change to Daylight Saving
Time.

I found this little trick to check if DST is on the new or old way on *nix:

date -d '27 March'

If it returns Tue Mar 27 00:00:00 EDT 2007, and not Tue Mar 27 00:00:00
EST 2007, you know your system has the new setting.

You will need to locate the specific fix for your distribution of *nix.

This relates to Remind because I kept getting "DST starts" on the old
date. I kept going around and around trying to find this. I then
remembered the file defs.rem. I renamed it to holidays.rem for my
purposes. Once I corrected the DST start and end dates, it solved my
"problem".

I checked the latest download for remind, and the defs.rem in the
examples directory has a date of 7 May 2001. I suggest that this be
updated to the new start and end dates.

For the sake of anyone else using this file, or these definitions, who
is not sure how to change them, here it is.

There are two lines in the section #USHOLS. I have commented the
original line, and have the new date below. DST now starts the second
Sunday of March, and ends the first Sunday of November.

;REM  Sun Apr  1 ++2    MSG Daylight Savings Time - %"DST starts%" %b
REM  Sun Mar 8 ++2    MSG Daylight Savings Time - %"DST starts%" %b

;REM  Sun [_last(Oct)]    MSG Daylight Savings Time - %"DST over%"
REM  Sun Nov 1 ++2    MSG Daylight Savings Time - %"DST over%"

43folders.com's remind wiki cookbook page has this way to define the
current DST. However, the copy of defs.rem on wiki.43folders.com still
has the old definition.

--
Larry Hamilton