[Remind-Fans] sunrise / sunset messed up for longitude > 0?

dougie.lawson at ukonline.co.uk dougie.lawson at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 18:38:16 EST 2007

Quoting Hershel Safer <hsafer at alum.mit.edu>:

> Does anybody know of a local setting that would appear on both Linux
> and Solaris and cause this kind of problem? Thanks,

Do you ever boot Windoze on that machine?

Windoze is braindead when it comes to the local time vs universal time
(it only works for me during the winter because my local zone is zulu).

Windows sets the hardware clock to local time.

Linux sets the hardware clock to UTC/GMT (don't know if it knows or
cares about the leap seconds). Linux knows the local offset. SuSE Linux
has an option to use the braindead Windoze way of working (other Linux
distros may or may not have the same feature).

HTH

Dougie.