[Remind-Fans] Mother's day in France

Gerhard Kirchmann gerhardkmn at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 21 10:36:08 EDT 2007

Hello,

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:21:09 +0200 (CEST)
Alain Guibert <alguibert+rf at free.fr> wrote:

>  On Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 12:11:23 +0200, @@ wrote:
>
> > But after Mother's day, it's executed for current year and the
> > result is "Today"!
>
> Gerhard's solution works very well for me. Thanks again, man!
> Confirmed it matches paper calendar reality over 10 years:
>
> | $ rem -s120 May 1999 | grep "Fête des Mères"
> | 1999-05-30 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2000-05-28 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2001-05-27 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2002-05-26 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2003-05-25 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2004-06-06 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2005-05-29 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2006-05-28 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2007-06-03 * * * * Fête des Mères
> | 2008-05-25 * * * * Fête des Mères
>
>  - "Sun 1 Jun -7" is not last Sunday of May, but exactly 7 unomitted
> days before first Sunday of June. Problem: In 2003, OMITted Ascension
> Thursday falls on 29 May 2003, in the middle of this week. The -7
> skips this day, total 8 days backwards, and so places Mother's day
> wrongly on Saturday 24 May 2003, instead of Sunday 25. Solution: I
> had to use "--7" instead (ignores OMITed days). Yet better, I used
> the Sun [_last(May)] function: That's clearly more readable, and
> avoids such -/-- mistakes.

thanks Alain for your detailed explanation. I forgot about the -/--
possibilities. And that explains why in tests which I did with
Pentecost in an OMIT .... MSG pentecôte statement Mother's day skipped
back to Saturday instead of Sunday.

Perhaps this is the problem "@@" <aa at enseignant.com> had.

My solution only worked without any OMIT between
Pentecost and the first Sunday in June.

Gerhard Kirchmann