[Remind-Fans] UTF-8 characters in week/month view

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Tue Jul 24 18:00:09 EDT 2007

On Saturday 21 July 2007 22:22:00 Wolfgang Kroener wrote:

> if a UTF-8 character is part of the msg-part of a reminder the
> weekly/monthly view (with -c+/-c) is somewhat broken:
> --8<--
> $ echo "rem [trigger(realtoday())] msg testäöü" | remind -c+ -

I noticed this, too. The problem is, that remind does not use utf-8 internally
and some utf-8 characters like the german umlauts use two bytes instead of
only one. For this reason every line with utf-8 characters is displayed
shorter than remind thinks that it will be. But I do not know, what would be
the easiest way to fix this in remind, I guess remind must use utf-8 for this
internally. As a workaround, you can convert the input and output from remind
to and from latin1. This would work with every german character.

echo "rem [trigger(realtoday())] msg testäöü" | recode utf8..latin1 |
remind -c+ - | recode latin1..utf8

Regards,
Till