[Remind-Fans] Hi Remind newbie

Shelagh Manton shelagh.manton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:14:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 22:04 -0400, Paul Brookbanks wrote:
> Shelagh, sorry this part I don't understand. You said:
>
> The .reminders file is a sort of script in itself which is
> written in the remind mini-language. To be useful it needs to be either
> accessed through an automatic thing like telling bash to use it in
> your .bashrc file, a cron script to email you reminders
>
> I understand that the reminders file is a script and thus needs to be
> accessed. How do I tell bash or cron to use it? Or is this what
> automatically happens when I use the remind command? At this point
> everything seems manual ie i have get remind to print my reminders--so
> I'm guessing that the way to do this is by initiating your instructions
> ie linking the script to bash. However, I don't know how to do this
>
> Thanks

You can simply add "remind" to the end of your .bashrc file. Everytime
you open up a terminal, you get reminded :-)

Actually I'm a bit shaky on how cron comes into it.

I do a complicated farrago to change the remind command into a picture
which then gets loaded as a background picture on my desktop for the
day. I'm not always in the terminal.

Shelagh