[Remind-Fans] Attaching notes to an event

Phil Snowberger psnowber at cse.nd.edu
Mon Jan 14 23:40:12 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:08:09PM -0800, Adam Richards wrote:
> To fully replace Outlook I need to be able to attach "notes" to
> an event.  Perhaps arbitrary meta-data?  A place where I can
> store more verbose documentation than what is practical with a
> MSG description?  Meeting room numbers, conference bridge
> phonenumbers, lists, URL links, etc etc etc...

[snip]

> Or is there another way of doing this with multiple files?

I worked up a solution that worked for me, and it went like this:

I use vim, and I keep my remind files in ~/reminders.  I created a
directory ~/reminders/notes, and added it to vim's 'path' variable by
adding "set path+=~/reminders/notes" to my ~/.vimrc file

To attach a note to a file, I create a new file in ~/reminders/notes,
say "AmazonPrime" for a note on my amazon prime membership expiration.
Then I'll add a bit of text to the reminder for it, like

  REM Dec 18 2008 MSG %"Amazon Prime expires%" @AmazonPrime@ %b%

In wyrd, 'e' while the cursor is on a calendar item takes you to the
responsible line in your reminders file.  Then in vim, you can put the
cursor on the "AmazonPrime" and use the magic 'gf' command, and it will
open ~/reminders/notes/AmazonPrime.  There's nothing magic about
enclosing it in @s, except to distinguish it and maybe add syntax
highlighting to it.

It's a fairly manual solution, but again, it worked for me.

hth,
--Phil

Phil Snowberger -- psnowber at cse.nd.edu
University of Notre Dame