[Remind-Fans] debian upgrade and remind no longer works

R. Wood rw at ncf.ca
Fri Mar 14 07:39:38 EDT 2008

Allegedly, on Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:52:37AM +0000, david cuthbertson stated:
> The problem seems to me /not/ that remind no longer works in Debian
> testing, but that it does not work as it used to. My questions are
> therefore: (a) is this new version behaviour a bug => file a bug
> report with Debian (b) or, was the old version behaviour a bug that
> has now ben fixed => do nothing (c) should this behaviour change be
> better documented => file a bug report.

Debian apps typically will put standard documentation (e.g. README's,
changelogs, etc.) in '/usr/share/doc', and in this case
'/usr/share/doc/remind'.  I would check there first to see if the
changed behaviour is documented.

> Please correct me if I am wrong here. My understanding is that the
> purpose of Debian is to be conservative and boring, so that it works
> as reliably as possible.

s/Debian/Debian stable/

> Any new application version has to go through a long cycle of moving
> from Debian experimental, to unstable (Sid), to testing (Lenny, which
> is what I am currently running), and eventually to stable (Etch).

AFAIK the "long cycle" is mostly from 'testing' to 'stable'.  I don't
know about 'experimental' (I've never made contact with that realm :-)
but IIRC there need only be 2 weeks in unstable/sid without a bug being
reported before an app gets (automatically?) migrated to 'testing'.

> Debian stable is only released when it is considered as being truly
> stable, regardless of how long that might take (often years, rather
> than months).

Agreed.

[snip]

> This never used to require ' .reminders'. Now it does.  A Debian bug
> report #469420 concerning this was posted by Steve M. Robbins on 4 Mar
> 2008. Should I post a 2nd bug report confirming this as a bug?
>
> Cheers,
> David

I don't really understand the debian BTS (Bug Tracking System) very
well, but it seems to me that if the changed behaviour is not documented
(see above) then it might well be considered a bug.  If you speak IRC
then someone in the #debian channel(s) could probably quickly steer you
in the right direction.

HTH,
Have Fun with GNU/Linux,
Raymond
- --
"Be Nice, or Leave - By Order of the Management"
(Sign above door, Black Sheep Inn, Wakefield)
GPG Fingerprint: 2E4D 8605 DD48 E80F F893  1C02 B65D 86D9 3B3C 0E03
Encrypted E-mail Preferred  |  google ron paul  <<<<<<<<<<<<
Bush-whacked 2004! Try to relax and enjoy the Chaos :-)  >>^