[Remind-Fans] Remind using 12-hour time?

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:17:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Kevin T. Neely
<ktneely at astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:56:21PM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
>  > Paul Pelzl wrote:
>  >
>  > > I'm a programmer, and I realize that this sometimes gives me a twisted
>  > > worldview, but frankly 12-hour time sucks.  And I say this as an
>  > > American who uses 12-hour time in casual use.
>  >
>  > I knew I had an uneasy feeling about this.  The 12:30a => 00:30 has
>  > convinced me it's a bad idea.
>
>  Like Paul, I use 24 hour time in everything except casual conversation.  However,
>  as a non-programmer, I am curious as to how the 12:30a --> 00:30 is a big problem.

1) From a Remind development perspective, it is inelegant and provides a
   brand new way to introduce bugs.

2) From a user's perspective, you might develop the incorrect expectation
   that you can freely use HH:MM notation to denote any time in the morning
   while using HH:MMpm to denote afternoon/evening.  Then one day you set
   your Remind-based alarm clock for "12:15" and end up waking in the
   afternoon instead of just after midnight.

Paul