[Remind-Fans] Request for help with formula

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 25 13:40:18 EDT 2008

Jorge Luis wrote:

> FSET isFirstFull(date) \
>   monnum(moondate(2, date)) == monnum(moondate(2, moondate(2, date)+1))
> REM 1 SATISFY isFirstFull(trigdate())
> set blue moondate(2, moondate(2, trigdate())+1)
> MSG Next blue moon is [trigger(blue)]

> I'd like to refine this in two ways: first, I'd like it to trigger on
> the date of a blue moon, not on every day preceding it;

Change the last line to:

REM [trigger(blue)] MSG It's a blue moon!!!!

> and second, I'd like to have a similar formula that triggers on the
> blue moon anniversary of my engagement, that is, on the next blue
> moon that occurs on a May 31.

Ooh... that'll be really rare!  Anyway, just change the second line
from:

	REM 1 SATISFY isFirstFull(trigdate())

to:
	REM May 1 SATISFY isFirstFull(trigdate()) && day(moondate(2, moondate(2, trigdate())+1)) == 31

When I do that, I get:

     Next blue moon is 31 May 2026

And in case you're wondering: The one after that isn't until 31 May 2072.

Regards,

David.