[Remind-Fans] ASCII Calendar Sends Form Feed

Jorge Luis lists at jorge.cc
Tue Oct 14 22:21:22 EDT 2008

On 2008-10-14 19:11:53 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Jorge Luis wrote:
>
> > I use remind on FreeBSD 6.2 from ports and on Debian Etch.  In both
> > cases, remind -c terminates output with a form feed character (^L on
> > most terminals), which has the effect of clearing the screen immediately
> > after the calendar is drawn.
>
> That's a hard-coded relic.  You can eliminate it by piping the output through:
>
>        sed -e 's/^L//'
>
> where the ^L is an actual form-feed character, produced (on my xterm anyway)
> by typing Control-V Control-L.
>
> (The purpose of the form-feed was to separate out the monthly
> calendars for people who print the ASCII calendars on dot-matrix
> printers... remember those? :-))

I narrowed down this behavior.  It (the screen-clearing) only occurs
when I'm in a PuTTY session from an XP box to either the FreeBSD or the
Linux machine.  Using remind through OpenSSH from and to either one
doesn't exhibit the problem.

> > And pardon me for mixing threads, but I can't seem to feed a date spec
> > to the program properly.  I've tried every permutation of
> > date-month-year, escaped in every way possible, but trying to run remind
> > for any day but today produces the help text.  What's the proper format
> > for the command line date?
>
>       remind -c ~/.reminders 1 Jan 2009
>
> works for me.  Don't quote anything; "1 Jan 2009" will probably fail.

It must be one of the functions or symbolic constants I have defined
because it doesn't work for me.  Even when I move .reminders out of the
way.  Odd....

--
JL <lists at jorge.cc>
This message optimized for teletypes.