[Remind-Fans] ASCII Calendar Sends Form Feed

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Oct 14 19:11:53 EDT 2008

Jorge Luis wrote:

> I use remind on FreeBSD 6.2 from ports and on Debian Etch.  In both
> cases, remind -c terminates output with a form feed character (^L on
> most terminals), which has the effect of clearing the screen immediately
> after the calendar is drawn.

That's a hard-coded relic.  You can eliminate it by piping the output through:

       sed -e 's/^L//'

where the ^L is an actual form-feed character, produced (on my xterm anyway)
by typing Control-V Control-L.

(The purpose of the form-feed was to separate out the monthly
calendars for people who print the ASCII calendars on dot-matrix
printers... remember those? :-))

> And pardon me for mixing threads, but I can't seem to feed a date spec
> to the program properly.  I've tried every permutation of
> date-month-year, escaped in every way possible, but trying to run remind
> for any day but today produces the help text.  What's the proper format
> for the command line date?

      remind -c ~/.reminders 1 Jan 2009

works for me.  Don't quote anything; "1 Jan 2009" will probably fail.

Regards,

David.