[Remind-Fans] TkRemind-compatible reminders using text terminal?

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 7 11:41:20 EST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Robert Funnell wrote:
>
>> If not, and if I were to try this myself, could you please explain the
>> rationale for the apparent redundancy between the contents of TKTAG
>> and those of the associated REM command? I'm not sure if I'm missing
>> something.
>
> The # TKTAGnnn ... # TKEND comment pairs are hacks to allow TkRemind to
> edit the reminders.  The big comment that starts # -global-OptionType ...
> is a Tk list that lets TkRemind remember the state of the "Add Reminder"
> form completely, without having to parse the REM command.

Ah, of course, the redundancy is there because one part is used by
TkRemind and the other part by Remind itself.

> It's all an evil hack.  If you were to write your own, I think the only
> sane approach would be to write it in Tcl, because doing it in any
> other language would mean having to recreate Tcl's list syntax.

Perverted, perhaps, but not necessarily evil. You're probably right
about using Tcl, although I've never used it. Since I seldom use all
of even those Remind features that are implemented by TkRemind, I
might be able to get away with using some other language - maybe
Fortran, my native language. (No comments about perversion are
required.)

> The WriteReminder procedure from TkRemind is a good starting point.
> Also see RemindDialogToOptions, which encodes the state of the dialog
> box in a Tcl list.

Thanks for the tips. I'll wait for (1) an indication that someone else
has addressed the same need, or (2) some spare time, before poking at
this.

- Robert