[Remind-Fans] TkRemind-compatible reminders using text terminal?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jan 7 11:27:09 EST 2009

Robert Funnell wrote:

> If not, and if I were to try this myself, could you please explain the
> rationale for the apparent redundancy between the contents of TKTAG
> and those of the associated REM command? I'm not sure if I'm missing
> something.

The # TKTAGnnn ... # TKEND comment pairs are hacks to allow TkRemind to
edit the reminders.  The big comment that starts # -global-OptionType ...
is a Tk list that lets TkRemind remember the state of the "Add Reminder"
form completely, without having to parse the REM command.

It's all an evil hack.  If you were to write your own, I think the only
sane approach would be to write it in Tcl, because doing it in any
other language would mean having to recreate Tcl's list syntax.

The WriteReminder procedure from TkRemind is a good starting point.
Also see RemindDialogToOptions, which encodes the state of the dialog
box in a Tcl list.

Regards,

David.