[Remind-Fans] Drowning myself in gxmessage popups - half solved...

David Rogers davidandrewrogers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 11:13:50 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 19:33, David Rogers<davidandrewrogers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This is not an urgent problem, but I'm curious about what's going on.
> If I run this:
>
> remind -q -g -b1 ~/.reminders | gxmessage -buttons "OK:0" -default
> "OK" -title  "today's reminders" -file -
>
> from cron, it works fine.
>
> However, if I run the same thing as a timed reminder from within my
> .reminders file, it works a little _too_ well, spewing many many
> (many!) copies of the same message onto my screen. It's the correct
> message; I just want to tell it enough is enough!  :-)
>
> - What have I done wrong?

Well, adding the "-r" flag would stop the RUN statement from
re-running itself a million times - duh! And I've added a DISPLAY at
the beginning as some kind of insurance, even though I'm only running
one display:

export DISPLAY=:0.0 && remind -r -q -g -b1 ~/.reminders | gxmessage
-buttons "OK:0" -default \
"OK" -title  "today's reminders" -file -

This is better - but now instead of a million reminders all at once, I
still get a duplicate reminder of the day's events every five minutes,
due to the fact that I have Remind running in daemon mode. But isn't
it only 6:00 for one minute, and then it's 6:01? I'm trying to figure
out why it keeps repeating every time the daemon wakes up, even though
it isn't 6:00 anymore.

Thanks
David