[Remind-Fans] Drowning myself in gxmessage popups

David Rogers davidandrewrogers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 22:33:51 EDT 2009

Hi all

This is not an urgent problem, but I'm curious about what's going on.
If I run this:

remind -q -g -b1 ~/.reminders | gxmessage -buttons "OK:0" -default
"OK" -title  "today's reminders" -file -

from cron, it works fine.

However, if I run the same thing as a timed reminder from within my
.reminders file, it works a little _too_ well, spewing many many
(many!) copies of the same message onto my screen. It's the correct
message; I just want to tell it enough is enough!  :-)

- What have I done wrong?
- Can I correct this line to work in my .reminders (or calling a
separate script from the .reminders or whatever), or do I need to go
back to cron? (I went away from cron just because I never use it for
anything else, and I figured Remind should be able to handle this
easily when given the correct command.)

I didn't want to set this as an un-timed reminder that shows up at
midnight, because I'm often still up at midnight - I'd rather have it
run at 05:00 or 06:00, so that it's waiting for me in the morning when
I get there.

Thanks
David