[Remind-Fans] Remind + GrowlNotify

Manu Kaul manu.kaul at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:34:13 EDT 2009

Hi ST,
Thanks for the tip. I tried what you suggested an the output is below.

*Macintosh-3:~ manukaul$ rem 29 sep 2009 AT 19:31 run echo "Testing
Growl"|/usr/local/bin/growlnotify -s*

REMIND 03.01.07 (English version) Copyright 1992-1998 David F. Skoll
Copyright 1999-2009 Roaring Penguin Software Inc.
Usage: remind [options] filename [date] [time] [*rep]
 -n     Output next occurrence of reminders in simple format
 -r     Disable RUN directives
 -c[a][n] Produce a calendar for n (default 1) months
 -c[a]+[n] Produce a calendar for n (default 1) weeks
 -w[n[,p[,s]]]  Specify width, padding and spacing of calendar
 -s[a][+][n] Produce `simple calendar' for n (1) months (weeks)
 -p[a][n] Same as -s, but input compatible with rem2ps
 -l     Prefix each simple calendar line with line number and filename
comment
 -v     Verbose mode
 -o     Ignore ONCE directives
 -t[n]  Trigger all future (or those within `n' days)
 -h     `Hush' mode - be very quiet
 -a     Don't trigger timed reminders immediately - just queue them
 -q     Don't queue timed reminders
 -f     Trigger timed reminders by staying in foreground
 -z[n]  Enter daemon mode, waking every n (5) minutes.
 -d...  Debug: e=echo x=expr-eval t=trig v=dumpvars l=showline f=tracefiles
 -e     Divert messages normally sent to stderr to stdout
 -b[n]  Time format for cal: 0=am/pm, 1=24hr, 2=none
 -x[n]  Iteration limit for SATISFY clause (def=150)
 -kcmd  Run `cmd' for MSG-type reminders
 -g[dddd] Sort reminders by date, time, priority, and 'timedness'
 -ivar=val Initialize var to val and preserve var
 -m     Start calendar with Monday rather than Sunday
 -y     Synthesize tags for tagless reminders
Macintosh-3:~ manukaul$

It seems like it needs another parameter to it? Did the above command work
on your machine and did it echo the statement? I get the point of how you
add your remind statements through some script which automatically appends
the growlnotify piped in. Would you mind sharing this script with me?

Cheers,
Manu

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM, <okazpyw02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> I don't see the problem with your approach. It seems like it should work.
>
> I just use Remind's run command:
>
> rem 29 sep 2009 AT 12:31 run echo "Testing
> Growl"|/usr/local/bin/growlnotify -s
>
> I set up most of my Remind entries through a script which automatically
> puts all entries with times into this pipe-to-growlnotify format.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> ST

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
- Michelangelo