[Remind-Fans] Remind 3.1.8 is Released

Mike Kelly pioto at pioto.org
Wed Mar 10 03:04:24 EST 2010

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 21:50:54 -0500
"David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Mike Kelly wrote:
>
> >> o POLICY CHANGE: Discourage use of Remind on MS Windows or Apple
> >> Mac OS X.
>
> > Could you clarify what the implications of this new policy are for
> > users?
>
> Well, it's spelled out on the Remind home page:
>
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind

Yes, I saw the text there, but the implications of it were somewhat
vague, in particular whether they constituted licensing terms, or merely
what sort of support will be provided.

> From a technical point of view, the only difference is that the
> ./configure script pauses for 30 seconds on Cygwin or Mac OS X.

Thanks. The text in the "MICROSOFT-AND-APPLE" file I just noticed seems
to explain things better than the web site does. This bit in particular
clarified my question:

> I used to prohibit porting Remind to Microsoft Windows.  However, this
> may cause problems with the GPL, so I have removed that restriction.

and

> I can't prevent you from using Remind on Apple's products, but I hope
> you don't.

Thanks.

--
Mike Kelly