[Remind-Fans] [MAYBE] Re: Remind wiki

Paul M Foster paulf at quillandmouse.com
Sun Sep 12 23:02:08 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 07:44:23PM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:

> David Rogers wrote:
>
> > So... (A) thanks to those very helpful people, and (B) a stable,
> > easy-to-find repository of information is a great idea if it doesn't
> > cost you more time & money than is comfortable - and thanks to you if
> > you decide to go ahead.
>
> I like the idea of a wiki and am willing to host it (Roaring Penguin
> has the resources to ensure a stable repository...)
>
> So if you'd like me to host it, let me know.  Also, please recommend
> some wiki software.  I prefer software that doesn't require MySQL
> (because our server already runs PostgreSQL for a variety of tasks and
> it just seems wrong to run two completely separate RDBMSs.)
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

I haven't tried ikiwiki, but my personal opinion is that it's massively
silly to store pages of information in an RDBMS. It's like using a
hammer to screw in a screw. So I tend to gravitate toward wikis which
store pages as *pages*. I've used Dokuwiki in the past, which stores
pages as files.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster