[Remind-Fans] getting desktop popups on different systems

Fri Apr 6 13:49:29 EDT 2012

Hi, all,

I have two desktop systems, one running OS/X leopard, and the other
running Ubuntu 11.04. I share my reminder files in a Dropbox folder
between the two system so they are always in sync.

Generally, I run the reminders for the day and pipe them into the
appropriate display program for each computer: growlnotify on the Mac,
gxmessage on Ubuntu. This works great either manually or via a cron
job. I run these with remind -q.

However, what doesn't work are timed reminders of appointments I may
have during the day. I can't quite figure out how to make it work so
that when a reminder pops, it gets displayed with the appropriate
program on each machine. Since each uses a different program, I can't
quite hardwire it into the reminder itself using RUN. I'd like to be
able to have a conditional that determines which OS is running
(possibly by querying uname) and set the program in the reminder file
itself. Any suggestions as to how I might do this?

Thanks,

Tamara