[Remind-Fans] need eval() function to expand expressions inside strings

Ian! D. Allen idallen at idallen.ca
Wed May 27 13:33:30 EDT 2015

There doesn't seem to be a way to make remind expand expressions inside
variables/strings. If I want the same reminder to appear in multiple
different forms I can't just write the text string once and assign it
to a variable for later expansion, if it contains any expressions. I
have to duplicate all the expressions I use in each reminder, e.g.:

set text "My event"
set date "AT 12:00"
REM [date] MSG %"%"[trigtime()] [text]
REM [date] SPECIAL HTML <p class="foo">[trigtime()] [text]</p>

The use of [trigtime()] above could be any variable or expression that
I really should only have to write once since it's the same in every
reminder.

What might work as a future enhancement is an "eval"-like function to
expand embedded expressions inside strings, e.g.:

set text "[trigtime()] My event"
set date "AT 12:00"
REM [date] MSG %"%"[eval(text)]
REM [date] SPECIAL HTML <p class="foo">[eval(text)]</p>