[Remind-Fans] regular notification of repeating reminders

Charles Stroom charles at stremen.xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 5 09:29:32 EDT 2015

for me the following works (but I am a not-knowledgeable user):
REM Jan 01 +7 MSG birthday anonymous %g
with tkremind, this gives a pop-up from 7 days before with %g the number
of days still to go.
Maybe invert date constituents?

I do not use email reminders, the pop up is good enough for me.

Charles

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 13:43:26 +0200
Hendrik Jaeger <remind-fans at henk.geekmail.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started using remind and am still trying to get to grips with
> it.
>
> For now I want remind to remind me of birthdays 20 days in advance,
> every day until the birthday is reached. So far my REM looks like
> this: REM 18 Sep +20 MSG Birthday: Some Body %a
>
> One technology I consistently use since years and expect to be using a
> few more decades is E-Mail, so I would like to have remind send me
> emails. Since my server runs 24/7 in contrast to my laptop, I ran
> remind on my server like this:
> rem -z '-kecho %s | mail -s "REMINDERS" henk at example.org'
>
> I started that command a few times (with slight variations, like "%s"
> vs. just %s) on 31.08.2015 and the days following, but only received
> two emails (both on 31.08.2015) about the reminder above.
>
> 0) How should I run remind to send emails? Is my command sensible?
> Please suggest anything that you think would make more sense.
>
> 1) Why does remind not repeat the reminder up to the birthday? What am
> I missing?
> It seems my reminder above only triggered once (or rather twice for
> some reason) when I started remind, while I’d like it to trigger
> every day until the set date.
>
> 2) How does remind keep track of which reminders have already been
> triggered?
> Even when I stop and restart the command I use, I don’t receive
> another reminder about that birthday reminder. So I’m guessing that
> remind has some kind of state saved somewhere. Is that the case?
>
> I’d like to understand what I’m doing and how remind exactly works.
> I hope my questions are clear and I have not missed something obvious.
> I am grateful for any advice or suggestions on how to integrate and
> use remind properly. Please tell me if my questions are lacking
> information and feel free to just point me to the f…ine manual if
> what I’m asking is documented already. I did read it but it’s easy to
> miss things on the first pass …
>
> Thank you very much and best regards
>
> henk
>
> --