[Remind-Fans] regular notification of repeating reminders

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat Sep 5 21:10:47 EDT 2015

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 13:43:26 +0200
Hendrik Jaeger <remind-fans at henk.geekmail.org> wrote:

> One technology I consistently use since years and expect to be using a
> few more decades is E-Mail, so I would like to have remind send me
> emails. Since my server runs 24/7 in contrast to my laptop, I ran
> remind on my server like this:
> rem -z '-kecho %s | mail -s "REMINDERS" henk at example.org'

In server mode, Remind only queues *timed* reminders.

If you want to receive an email of advance warning reminders, you
need to run Remind in normal mode once a day, for example from cron.

> 0) How should I run remind to send emails? Is my command sensible?
> Please suggest anything that you think would make more sense.

As above, but not server mode.  Just daily from cron.

> 1) Why does remind not repeat the reminder up to the birthday? What am
> I missing?
> It seems my reminder above only triggered once (or rather twice for
> some reason) when I started remind, while I'd like it to trigger
> every day until the set date.

See above.

> 2) How does remind keep track of which reminders have already been
> triggered?

In normal mode, it does not.  It processed the file anew each time and
does not remember state.  In Daemon Mode, it remembers today's reminders and
issues them at the right time, but all the state is held in memory... it's
not persistent.

(Actually, the seldom-user ONCE keyword uses the last access date of the
file on which it was invoked as a kind of state indicator.)

> Even when I stop and restart the command I use, I don't receive
> another reminder about that birthday reminder.

You should.  That's odd.