[Remind-Fans] an OMIT holiday moves forward Sun to Mon, Monday things that should move forward don't.

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Thu Jul 21 05:36:09 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:29:09AM -0400, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 20:58:05 +0200
> Anne Wainwright <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
>
> > OMIT May 1
> > REM May 1 AFTER OMIT Sun MSG Workers Day
>
> > REM May 1 2010 *7 AFTER OMIT Sun Tue Wed Thu Sat MSG Dustbin day
> > (no, I don't know why I didn't just put 'Mon")
>
> The problem is that on May 2, the Workers Day trigger date will be for
> *next* year.  You need to use the SCANFROM keyword in the first REM.
> It's documented in the manual.  Something like this should suffice:
>
> REM May 1 SCANFROM [today()-14] AFTER OMIT Sun MSG Workers Day
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.
Dianne, hello,

Thank you for your swift response.

Your indication to use SCANFROM on the earlier record was specific and
clear, more so that in the manual which section is still obscure to me.
I can now understand the idea behind that.

Sadly we still have an issue and your suggested line does not move
Dustbin Day which remains anchored stubbornly to the Monday. I append
below actual code lines from .reminders (SPECIAL COLOR ... removed to
avoid wrapping in this email)

#
# OMIT May 1 +7  MSG %"Freedom Day%" %b%
# above line leaves public holiday on a Sunday
# we need to move all public holidays falling on a Sunday to the Monday
# Example: in 2016 Worker's Day falls on a Sunday and needs to move
# forward to the Monday
# Solution: we need to separately OMIT the public holidays, to ensure
# they are omitted
# and use a REM line with OMIT Sun to move the day to the Monday
#
#
OMIT May 1
REM  May 1  +7  SCANFROM [today()-14] AFTER OMIT Sun MSG %"Workers Day%" %b%
#
# REM May 1 SCANFROM [today()-14] AFTER OMIT Sun MSG Workers Day
# BUT Dustbin Day does not move to Friday with the advance of Workers
# Day from Sun to Mon which is then a public holiday
# modified to include SCANFROM per Dianne Skoll on remind-fans 20 July
# 2016
# see about line 230/235 for dustbin day code
# ...
# ...
REM Mar 1 2010 *7 AFTER OMIT Sun Tue Wed Thu Sat MSG %"Dustbin Day%" %b%
#

Studied this until my brain swims, I can see no reason for it not moving
now. I can see nothing else wrong in all other REMs and OMITs that might
for some reason interfere with this. Help!

regards
Ian