[Remind-Fans] E-mailing reminders

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Jan 2 20:27:26 EST 2019

On 2019-01-02 13:33, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I am using Remind and TkRemind.  I have many reminders set to send
> me popups for the 3 days prior to the event date.  For *SOME* of
> these events, my wife would like to receive an e-mail 3 days ahead,
> as well. Is there any way to specify in the .reminders file to send
> e-mail reminders for specific events to a specific e-mail
> address(s)?

Two different methods occur to me:

1) create a spouse-specific "wife.rem" reminder file with the shared
items[*], INCLUDE it into your personal calendar (so you continue to
get them in your notifications), and then have a similar process that
runs remind against just the "wife.rem" file, setting her as the
mail-recipient.

2) tag items in your monolithic (or possibly composite) reminder file
(maybe with her email address or other unique tag) and then re-run,
passing remind through grep to filter for only tagged entries and
mailing those to her.

If you're using cron for generating the emails, you might want to
check out https://habilis.net/cronic/ which only emails the output if
the command fails.  This can be used to only send email in the event
there was output.

-tim

[*] I do something similar to this, having ~25 different calendar
files, all imported into one master calendar.  This lets me run
against just my wife's calendar, each kid's individual calendar or an
all-kids calendar, as well calendars for each kid's schools, various
birthday/anniversary calendars, $DAYJOB items, library due-dates &
lectures, as well ones for our church and some non-profits with which
I volunteer.  My ~/.reminders is a symlink into my
$REMINDDIR/master.rem file which then imports all the others (either
directly or indirectly)