[Remind-Fans] Remind on smart speakers

dan d. dandunfee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 13:00:52 EDT 2019

As mentioned, there is a developer skill production kit.  Coding input occurs there.  Look here:

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/alexa/alexa-skills-kit

Here is the page to the builtin reminder features for developers.  It allows a one time or recurring short text message
to be announced at a specified time.  An echo version of remind would do so upon request for the current and/or future days.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smapi/alexa-reminders-overview.html

And:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smapi/alexa-reminders-api-reference.html

It also allows creation of custom to-do and other kinds of short text lists to be recalled upon request.

This includes the "remember this" list skill.

https://www.amazon.com/RURx77-remember-this/dp/B072WCVV9X

Some combination of the remind and list api existing structure would appear to provide a foundation for a voice input/output version of remind.

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, Dianne Skoll wrote:

> On 9/25/19 12:59 PM, dan d. wrote:
>
> > I use amazon echo devices.
>
> > It occurs that the functionality of remind would be an obvious skill.
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure how that would work.  How would you get something like
> the following into the speaker?
>
> #========================================================================
> fset _garbhol(x) wkdaynum(x) == 3 && slide(x-3, 3) != x
> fset _garbdel() iif($Tw != 3, " (Delayed)", "")
>
> REM 7 November 2012 *14 AFTER OMITFUNC _garbhol MSG Black Box[_garbdel()]
> REM 31 October 2012 *14 AFTER OMITFUNC _garbhol MSG Garbage[_garbdel()]
> REM 31 October 2012 *14 AFTER OMITFUNC _garbhol MSG Blue Box[_garbdel()]
> #========================================================================
>
> I don't think it would be very practical to try to read complicated
> reminders into the speaker.  Maybe if it had a Web interface or something
> for entering the reminders... but I can't see many people using this.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have the speaker integrated with your
> Google calendar (if it isn't already?) and just export Remind's output
> converted to iCal format?  There are tools for creating iCal from Remind.
>
> What would be more interesting to me would be to use an open platform
> like a Raspberry Pi with Google's Speech-to-Text Cloud API (free if you
> convert < 60 minutes of text per month.)  It's trivial to run Remind
> on an open system like a Pi.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.

XB