[Remind-Fans] Using BEFORE/AFTER to adjust by more than one day?

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Fri Oct 4 12:21:50 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-04 11:39, hymie at lactose.homelinux.net wrote:
> Tim Chase writes:
> >I have several events that fall on the Nth weekday of the (e.g 1st
> >Saturday) and when they get bumped by an OMIT, they usually move
> >back one week (so instead of July 4th of 2020, it would move to
> >July 11th of 2020).  Is there a way to specify that the
> >BEFORE/AFTER should shift things by a certain number of days other
> >than one?
>
> I don't know if this will help you, but I use this:
>
> rem thu 22 OMIT WED BEFORE msg DDS patches
>
> for a Thursday event that, if Thursday is a holiday, moves back to
> Tuesday.
>
> You might need to OMIT every day except your specific day.

Ah, that's sneaky.  And elegant.  And it works.  I like it.

In the particulars, it wasn't an actual holiday but that the facility
booked for other activities on the usual date of a monthly breakfast
meeting on the 1st Saturday, but I can use PUSH/POP to do the one-off

  PUSH
  OMIT 5 Oct 2019 MSG %"Meeting room previously booked%"%
  REM Sat 1 +1 AT 07:45 \
    OMIT Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri AFTER \
    MSG %"breakfast meeting%" %b %2%
  POP

It also makes it easy to provide additional OMIT clauses in the event
the facility is booked and the 1st-Saturday breakfast meeting gets
bumped again.  As Dianne points out, it only works well if it's 7 (or
fewer) days for the bumping, but that was adequate for my needs at
this time.

Thanks, all!

-Tim

-tim