[Remind-Fans] filename() and queued reminders

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Mon Mar 2 13:39:33 EST 2020

Hi,

On 2020-03-02 13:00, John Harrigan via Remind-fans wrote:

> When reminders are queued up from multiple files, the filename()
> value seems to show the name of the last file processed and not the
> filename of the originating file.  I'm wondering if there is a way
> to preserve the originating file name.

Unfortunately, there is not.  In particular, your strategy fails
as per this warning in the Remind man page:

       WARNING ABOUT TIMED REMINDERS

       Note: If you use user-defined functions or variables (described
       later) in the bodies of timed reminders, then when the timed
       reminders are activated, the variables and functions have the
       definitions that were in effect at the end of the reminder
       script.  These definitions may not necessarily be those that
       were in effect at the time the reminder was queued.

The filename() built-in function likewise will fail in the context
of a queued reminder.