[Remind-Fans] Getting pre-notice overlapping with actual notice

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Sun Dec 13 20:29:47 EST 2020

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 14:08:14 -0600
Tim Chase <remind at tim.thechases.com> wrote:

>   REM +1 FROM Aug 17 2020 MSG ...
[ on 17 Aug, only shows that day's reminder and not the one for 18th, etc.]

> I expected to see 2 entries on each day, one for the actual event and
> one for the next day's pre-notice.

Remind's algorithm does not work that way.  On a given day, any given
REM statement will have at most *one* trigger date and will trigger
either zero times or one time.

The algorithm works like this (conceptually... it's actually
far more efficient and won't get into an infinite loop for
unsatisfiable reminders...)

1) Set x = today.
2) Is the REM statement satisfied on date x? If yes, go to (4).
3) Increment x and go to (2).
4) Process the rest of the reminder.

So on 16 August, the trigger date would be 17 August and the +1 would kick in.

On 17 August, the trigger date would be 17 August.  The fact that it would
trigger *again* on the 18th is irrelevant... Remind stops in step (2) as
soon as it finds a trigger date that satisfies the REM.

> Is this something I can accomplish without duplicating the entire
> event and tweaking the schedule?

Unfortunately, it is not.