[Remind-Fans] BUG: AFTER keyword handled incorrectly when combined with repeated reminders

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Fri Jan 8 16:35:08 EST 2021

On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 22:24:45 +0100
Paul Kopp <paulkopp at posteo.de> wrote:

> When scheduling a reminder like this:
>
>   REM 2021-01-01 THROUGH 2021-01-08 AFTER MSG Test
>
> with an OMIT on the last day:
>
>   OMIT 2021-01-08

Weeelll... I guess it's a bug, but maybe it's a feature. :)

THROUGH yyyy-mm-dd is simply syntactic sugar for "*1 UNTIL yyyy-mm-dd"
and Remind will *never* trigger a reminder after the UNTIL date,
under any circumstances.  If you run with debugging on:

$ remind -dt /tmp/test.rem 2021-01-09
/tmp/test.rem(2): Expired
No reminders.

Because the UNTIL date is 2021-01-08, the reminder is considered
expired on 2021-01-09 and not triggered.

The fix is to change the end date to be 2021-01-09.  I should probably
document this behaviour in the man page.

>   OMIT 2021-01-08
>   REM 2021-01-08 AFTER MSG Test 3

That's because there's no UNTIL that limits the latest date the reminder
could ever be issued.