[Remind-Fans] Trying to change the font size for specific entries when using rem2ps

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Thu Dec 30 16:23:12 EST 2021

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 23:11:57 -0600
Matt via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I am trying to figure out a way to increase the font size for
> specific reminders when creating a PDF calendar using rem2ps.

Ah, interesting.  That is a *lot* harder than you might think.

The reason is that the code that does line-wrapping (ie, splitting
of lines on word boundaries for long reminders) is actually written in
PostScript.  That way, the C code doesn't need to know anything about
font metrics.

What you might have to do is look at the PostScript generated for a
MSG-type reminder and then edit it.  For example, this reminder:

         REM MSG Hello, world!

generates the following PostScript:

% =============
[
  [(Hello,)(world!)
  ()()]
]
(1) 1
DoCalBox

Unfortunately, the DoCalBox routine does *all* of the reminders for a
given day.  You can attempt to use a PS-style reminder, but it's
very unlikely to work because it will interact badly with existing
MSG-style reminders.

So... I don't see an easy way to do what you want other than
using something like ps2ps to simplify the PostScript code,
and then post-processing it... Not an appetizing prospect by
any means.