[Remind-Fans] Terminal emulators (was Re: Remind 04.01.00 BETA 3 is available)

taekoocair at wilsonb.com taekoocair at wilsonb.com
Fri Sep 23 05:03:14 EDT 2022

Those are nice articles. I recall encountering them before, and it was a nice
re-read.

Regarding the "size" metric, indeed shared libraries and other dependencies
make such measures only useful in context. To add yet another measure, we can
leverage Guix [0] to get the disk space used by the recursive closure of all
dependencies:

    for t in xfce4-terminal terminology qterminal kitty xterm st; do
        guix build "$t" \
        | xargs guix gc --requisites \
        | xargs du --summarize \
        | awk '{n+=$1};END{printf n/1024}' \
        | xargs printf '%s:\t%s MB\n' "$t"
    done | column --table

which outputs

    xfce4-terminal:  1053.08  MB
    terminology:     1476.35  MB
    qterminal:       1205.01  MB
    kitty:           629.844  MB
    xterm:           132.062  MB
    st:              100.328  MB

The Debian install method addresses the question, "How much extra disk space
will this eat up on my daily driver PC?" while the above addresses something
more like "How big is the full set of possible code paths potentially exercised
by this terminal?"

YYMV on how useful these numbers are, though.

[0]:https://guix.gnu.org/