[Remind-Fans] two-way caldav synchronization

James Cook falsifian at falsifian.org
Thu Jan 19 01:00:06 EST 2023

Jochen Sprickerhof <remind at jochen.sprickerhof.de> writes:
> Right, remind-caldav currently has no UID support. It should not be that
> hard to implement but it would clutter the Remind file. I can give
> guidance how to do that but don't have time to do it myself right now.
> Instead I would propose to use radicale-remind and host the CalDAV
> server yourself:
>
> https://github.com/jspricke/radicale-remind
>
> Cheers Jochen

Thanks, that may be more practical for my personal calendar. Perhaps I
will try that. (I do host my own CalDAV server, but currently with
Baikal.) I also have a shared Google calendar, and I probably can't
convince my partner to move away from that, but I'll leave that for
later.

More generally, I'm trying to figure out if remind is the right tool for
me. I don't actually care much for reminders --- I am more interested in
a calendar that I can consult to see whether I'm free at a particular
time, and may record some useful information, like the address of a
hotel I'll be staying at. My events often span multiple days (e.g. a
hotel stay) and I am not sure remind supports those well. The lack of
time zone support is disappointing, but I've gotten used to thinking in
UTC, so maybe I'll just use UTC everywhere regardless of where an event
takes place. On the positive side:
- I really like the idea of storing my calendar as a simple text file;
- I'm curious to try out remind's expressive language and see if it's
  useful to me; and
- it looks like there's a nice ecosystem of lightweight tools, e.g. user
  interfaces. (I'm currently using khal+vdirsyncer, and the ikhal
  interface is pretty unwieldy.)
If anyone has thoughts, they would be appreciated.

--
James