[Remind-Fans] Multi-day vs DURATION (was Re: DURATION enhancement)

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Fri Jan 20 12:59:01 EST 2023

On 2023-01-20 12:38, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> If you're going to be away from work from 6 - 8 February (3 days),
> then that could be considered one long event and something like:
>
>     REM 6 Feb 2023 AT 00:00 DURATION [3*24]:00 MSG Off work
>
> (DURATION always needs an AT clause.)

I've occasionally wished for something like what's being described
by DURATION here, only letting remind do the heavy calculation.
The THROUGH and UNTIL are overloaded terms here, but being able to
specify the end-time rather than the DURATION would also sometimes
make things like this more convenient.  Imagining something like

  REM Jan 18 2023 AT 3:14pm \
    ENDS Jan 28 AT 9:30am \
    MSG Business trip to DC

  ("ENDS" being used as a placeholder for example purposes)

and having it get internally translated to what's being described
here,

  REM Jan 18 2023 AT 3:14pm \
    DURATION [magic calculation for slightly less than 10 days] \
    MSG Business trip to DC

Similarly, I sometimes get invites that specify the end-time where
it would be convenient to do

  REM Feb 2 2023 AT 8:30am \
    ENDS AT 1:00pm \
    MSG Groundhog day party at Pat's

to let remind figure out the appropriate 4.5hr DURATION.

For the most part, I can either use UNTIL/THROUGH and just have it
appear as distinct events rather than a DURATION > 24hr, or I can
do the DURATION math for a single-day event.

But [whiny voice] I'm laaaaaazy. :-)

Please don't take this as ANY sort of pressure to implement, just
tossing my thoughts in the ring.

-tim