[Remind-Fans] Multi-day vs DURATION (was Re: DURATION enhancement)

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Fri Jan 20 12:38:34 EST 2023

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:51:26 -0500
"Ian! D. Allen via Remind-fans" <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Maybe all my multi-day events should switch to using DURATION.

In my opinion, multi-day events and extended-DURATION events have
different use-cases.

Let's say you have a class every day from 23-27 January, from 9:00am
to 11:00am.  In this case, I would use a multi-day event:

    REM 23 Jan 2023 THROUGH 27 Jan 2023 AT 9:00 DURATION 2:00 MSG Class

because there really are multiple events rather than one 5-day-long
event.

If you're going to be away from work from 6 - 8 February (3 days), then
that could be considered one long event and something like:

    REM 6 Feb 2023 AT 00:00 DURATION [3*24]:00 MSG Off work

(DURATION always needs an AT clause.)

So I don't advocate blindly converting all multi-day events to long-duration
events or vice-versa, but doing so based on the actual meaning of the
reminder.