[Remind-Fans] Seeking testers for 04.02.03-BETA-2

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Tue Feb 7 14:55:29 EST 2023

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:44:17 +0000
Tim Chase via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I did notice that, while I guess it's correct, some of the
> "(observed)" holidays show up multiple times in -n mode:

Yup.  It is correct.  They're independent REM statements as far as
Remind is concerned.  IMO, not worth fixing because "next mode" is really
meant for debugging.

> I don't know if there's a good solution beyond doing something
> ghastly like (untested, shooting from the hip)

>   # if it falls on a weekend
>   # bump Saturday backward
>   # and Sunday forward
>   FSET bump(d) iif(wkdaynum(d) == 0, \
>     slide(d, 1, "Sat", "Sun"), \
>     iif(wkdaynum(d) == 6, \
>     slide(d, -1, "Sat", "Sun"), \
>     d))

>   REM Apr 16 SCANFROM -7 MSG Emancipation Day
>   SET emanc_day_obs bump($T)
>   IF $T != emanc_day_obs
>     REM [emanc_day_obs] MSG Emancipation Day (observed)
>   ENDIF

Yeah... no.  Don't do that! :) IMO, keep the reminder files as simple
and understandable as possible.  Calculating trigger dates by hand
circumvents the Remind algorithm and is fraught with danger.

>   $ make test

> gave errors (attached, along with a diff against the test.cmp)
> that all seem to revolve around timezone conversion.

Are you on *BSD?  There are known issues with the FreeBSD (and maybe
other *BSDs too) C library and timezones.  I'll see if I can work
around them in the test suite.