[Remind-Fans] tkremind suggestions

hymie! hymie at nasalinux.net
Tue Feb 28 10:22:54 EST 2023

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 10:09:39AM -0500, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:02:55 -0500
> Hymie! via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
>
> > (1) Changing the settings in TKRemind only allows you to save the
> > options to the tkremindrc file.  It would be nice if I could use
> > options in the current session without saving, so I can decide if I
> > want to keep or revert them.
>
> I used to have a separate "Apply" and "Save" button, but found it confusing,
> so I removed that.  Perhaps a compromise would be to automatically back
> up the old settings when you press Save and have a button to revert to the
> backed-up settings?

My only concern is that two or three "saves" will (or might) still lose
the original version.  I'm probably better off doing it manually, saving
off a ".good" version before I do anything stupid.

> > (2) Alter cockers like me still use vi.  Exiting tkremind with vi
> > running messes up my terminal (and possibly my files).  Perhaps a
> > separate option from "confirm quit" to "confirm quit if editor is
> > still running" ? (Or am I now getting too specific?)
>
> Hmm.  Does vi run in the same terminal you started TkRemind from?  Could
> you use a graphical version instead ("gvim") so it opens up in its
> own window?  (I use an editor that opens up in its own window.)

Yes, same terminal that tkremind ran from.

I completely forgot that gvim exists. :(  My workflow is primarily
text-based, and i've been using "remint.sh" that somebody else wrote whose
name I can't find at the moment.  But tkremind is just ... so nice ...

--hymie!