[Remind-Fans] Sending timed reminders to notify-send

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Mon Mar 13 14:51:01 EDT 2023

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:46:19 -0400
Michael DeBusk via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Is there a way to tell remind to send timed reminder notifications to
> notify-send? I can't seem to find it if it's there.

You can use the "-k" command-line option (but that would apply to all
reminders, not just timed reminders.)

If you use TkRemind, you can use Options... and set
"Run command when popping up reminder" to something useful.  I have
a script called notify-reminder.pl that looks like this:

  #!/usr/bin/perl
  use strict;
  use warnings;

  my $stuff;
  {
      local $/;
      $stuff = <STDIN>;
  }

  system 'notify-send', $stuff;
  exec('ircnotify', '-nick', 'remind', "Type=Reminder; Body=$stuff");

(ircnotify is a script I wrote, but you can see where I invoke notify-send
above.)