[Remind-Fans] primer?

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Fri May 26 19:23:52 EDT 2023

On 2023-05-26 17:32, Eben King via Remind-fans wrote:
> What's a good beginner's guide to remind?

I'm not sure it's a *beginner* guide, but I've got a number of
recipes in a blog-post I wrote a while back:

https://blog.thechases.com/posts/remind/

As new features have come availabe, I've changed a few of the
techniques I use, but many of them remain.

> I have a schedule which is basically all REM statements, nothing
> fancy at all, and now I find myself needing to do something more
> complex.  I'm sure remind can do it, and that I can figure out
> how to, eventually

The mailing-list is a pretty friendly place so if you have something
in particular you're hoping to implement, someone can usually take
a good crack at it.

However, you've not included much detail on what you're trying to
do, so it's a little hard to point you to the germane features.

> I just need to figure out how to assign, print, and compare
> values, and operators like *, /, and mod.  You know, the bare
> basics.  I already figured out user-defined functions and the
> if-then operator.

Assignment and operators:

  SET varname (3 * 8 + 42 / 7) % 17
  REM May 27 MSG that math resulted in [varname]

which you can read about in the "VARIABLES", "EXPRESSIONS", and
"EXPRESSION PASTING" sections of the man-page.

-tkc