[Remind-Fans] syntax help

Eben King eben at gmx.us
Thu Jul 20 14:00:48 EDT 2023

OK.  Here's the situation.  I have movie nights twice a week, "Movie Night"
on Friday, and "Auxiliary Movie Night" on Tuesday.  On Tuesday, Mom always
chooses the movie, and on Friday we alternate between me (Eben) and the wife
(Amanda).  So I want to make a function that spits out the right name,
depending on what day it is.

Tuesday is easy, it's always Mom.  Friday, the easiest solution I can come
up with is to check if the date odd or even.  So far this is what I have:

     13	FSET moviechooser(d) \
     14	  IF d == "tuesday" \
     15	    "Mom" \
     16	  else \
     17	    IF d == "friday" \
     18		  "one of us" \
     19		endif \
     20	  endif
     21
     22	REM Friday  AT 20:45 RUN xmessage "Get stuff ready for a
movie.%"Movie night [moviechooser(realtoday())]%"
     23	REM Tuesday AT 19:45 RUN xmessage "Get stuff ready for a
movie.%"Auxiliary movie night [moviechooser(realtoday())]%"

I get
/home/eben/.reminders/weekly.rem(22): Undefined variable: IF
/home/eben/.reminders/weekly.rem(21): Undefined variable: IF
/home/eben/.reminders/weekly.rem(22): Undefined variable: IF
/home/eben/.reminders/weekly.rem(21): Undefined variable: IF
/home/eben/.reminders/weekly.rem(22): Undefined variable: IF
/home/eben/.reminders/weekly.rem(21): Undefined variable: IF

Complaints are probably about lines 22 and 23.  I must have modified the
file after running remind.

Anyhow, I get errors, so it looks like my syntax is bad.  Is there a more
succinct way of getting a day counter other than by doing realtoday() -
2000-01-01 ?  Thanks.
--
People who are willing to rely on the government to keep them safe
            are pretty much standing on Darwin's mat,