[Remind-Fans] multitude of birthdays/anniversaries plus url()

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Fri Jul 21 16:44:23 EDT 2023

On 2023-07-20 13:58, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:43:35 -0500
> And this from another email:
>
> > [...] so I have 800+ birthdays and 100+ anniversaries [...]
>
> Woah!!!! I don't know 800 people well enough to know or care about
> their birthdays.  Same with 100 anniversaries.  You must be a
> super-networker!

I have a lot of kids in various classes at church for the last 15+
years, and have kept in touch with most of the families.  So I love
being able to send little "Happy birthday, Gracie, here's hoping
it's a great day! <3 from your former teacher" type notes.  The
kids love to know they're being remembered.

Similarly, when friends mention birthdays or anniversaries (or
deaths/memorials) on FB/Twitter, I tend to drop a line in my
corresponding Remind file, and can let them know I'm thinking of
them.  It costs me next to nothing to let folks know they're
appreciated (well, except those to whom I send physical cards,
which the USPS is attempting to make it more costly every year).

With the power of Remind, I can also get the requisite pre-warning
for those to whom I mail cards, using +7 (a week plus any holidays)
is usually enough for mail to cross the country.

I also have a

  FSET url(display, address) ...

function that takes a URL and wraps it in link-blue, as well as
optionally wrapping it in the rxvt ANSI-esque "make this clickable"
for some terminals[1] so I can note where I learned it

  # birthdays.rem
  REM Apr 1 MSG [ \
	url("Steve " + born(1987), \
	"https://facebook.com/posts/1234567890"\
	)]

Just in case others are looking for some fun inspiration. :-)

-tim

[1]
https://gist.github.com/egmontkob/eb114294efbcd5adb1944c9f3cb5feda